Back to Features > Quarantine Diary

Day 12 – Botti decides against sending Dylan Mouth to Melbourne

Lydia Symonds | 26.09.2017

With the second batch of Newmarket quarantine due to start on Thursday, trainer Marco Botti has decided against sending Dylan Mouth (Dylan Thomas) to Australia to contest the Melbourne Cup (Gr 1, 3200m) on 7 November, following the six-year-old’s disappointing tenth place finish in the Legacy Cup Stakes (Gr 3, 1m3f) at Newbury on Saturday.

Botti told the Racing Post that Dylan Mouth would now likely head to Canada to contest the Canadian International (Gr 1, 12f).

“We would have liked to have seen a bit more from Dylan Mouth if we were going to take him to Melbourne,” said Botti.

“There was no pace, which didn’t help, but we may now run in Canada and the US, which is closer to where the owner lives.”

Meanwhile in Newmarket quarantine, the Willie Mullins-trained pair Riven Light (Raven’s Pass) and Wicklow Brave (Beat Hollow) looked in good shape when they were among the inmates out on Side and Warren Hill yesterday, with Thursday’s departure day edging ever closer.

Making their way quietly round Side Hill, first in a slow trot, then in a quiet canter, Cox Plate (Gr 1, 2400m) nominee Riven Light was joined by his stablemate Wicklow Brave (Beat Hollow), who will be travelling to Melbourne for the second consecutive year having run in the Melbourne Cup last season.

Melbourne Cup entrants Marmelo (Duke Of Marmalade) and Tiberian (Tiberius Caesar) were also given a quiet time on Side Hill, cantering in single file.

Fellow Melbourne Cup hope Red Cardinal (Montjeu), who is trained by Andreas Wohler and raced by Australian Bloodstock, was joined on Side Hill by Garcia (Paco Boy) and Sixties Groove (Sixties Icon).

“We got the second and final CEM’s (Contagious Equine Metritis) back and it was clear,” International Racehorse Transport’s managing director Jim Paltridge told ANZ Bloodstock News yesterday.

“They had the nasal swabs for influenza taken today (yesterday) and we get the results back for them tomorrow (today). Then hopefully they will be OK. It’s a DNA test so you get the results back very quickly.”

To Download today's issue click here

Click here to subscribe to receive ANZ Daily via email

Share this story